On Tuesday afternoon we made our Ohio to Montana connection. We shared our readers theaters with Jon's class and they shared a poem and sang a song to our class. I had previously shared with my students that Mr. Fines plays the ukulele. They were very excited to hear him play for us.
After our connection, Jon and I decided to try virtual "buddy" reading with our classes. I'm excited to model and practice this next week when we return from Thanksgiving break. How engaging and motivating will it be for a couple of my second grade students to Skype a couple of Jon's kindergarteners in Montana and "buddy" read with them a few times a week?
If you are engaging your students in Skype or any other technology, below are some great past Wonders to visit. Specifically, Wonder #670, Do You Have Good Netiquette? is a great Wonder to use before Skyping or talking about leaving comments on any website.
- #63 How Does the Internet Work?
- #206 What Is a Mouse?
- #292 What Is the Smallest Computer?
- #420 How Do Touch Screens Work?
- #468 Do You Need a Pen To Have a Pen Pal?
- #670 Do You Have Good Netiquette?
- #710 How Does Technology Change Lives?
- #754 What Does It Mean To Go Viral?