Saturday, June 29, 2013

Happy 1,000th Wonder of the Day, Wonderopolis!

Today Wonderopolis has posted their 1,000th Wonder of the Day.  What a milestone!  In preparation of this milestone I spent some time this week reflecting on my Wonderopolis journey.

Wonderopolis asks us to answer five questions.  Below are my responses.  Please share you responses to the questions in the comment section at Wonderopolis.org.

1. How did you find out about Wonderopolis?
My Wonderopolis journey began during the summer of 2011.  I saw lots of chatter on Twitter about the  website.

2. Do you remember the first Wonder of the Day you saw?
The first Wonder I shared with my second grade class on the first day of school in 2011 was #323 How Do You Hula?  That first week of Wonderopolis my students not only learned about the Hula, but they learned about scarssalt water taffynational parks, and permanent ink.

3. What's your favorite Wonder of the Day?
My favorite Wonder of the Day is #645 What Is a Chuckwagon?  This is my favorite Wonder because my daughter created the video for the Wonder.  I also make a potato chip eating cameo in the video.  Our favorite Wonder of the Day this year in second grade was #766 When Will Pigs Fly? 

Below is a list of our favorite Wonders of the Day in second grade this year.

4. What are some things you've learned by wondering and using Wonderopolis?
Over the past two years in second grade we have wondered and learned about many new topics with Wonderopolis.  It is hard to pick out just a few things we have learned, because each Wonder is so different.  Wonderopolis does help set the tone for our day by encouraging everyone in our class to ask questions about everything and to Wonder throughout the day, not just when we are visiting the site.

5. How have you shared Wonder with your family and others?
I've used Wonderopolis with second graders for two years and plan on using it again this coming year.  As mentioned above we begin each morning sharing a Wonder together.

We also use it as family.  Last weekend my daughter and husband were having a discussion about voting.  The conversation turned to why do we vote on the first Tuesday in November?  They were able to visit Wonder #766 Why Do We Vote on Tuesdays? to find the answer.

Happy 1,000th Wonder of the Day, Wonderopolis!

No comments:

Post a Comment